“I don’t know if I’m from the periphery or not, but I’d like to be an ambassador for it. I want to defend it, cherish it, honour it and make it respected. And so I feel obliged to reveal all the magical secrets contained in this book. I have focused on a few peripheries to uncover their reality and magic. Come with me out to the periphery and find out how the world really works.”
This work features over 150 ‘peripheral’ things:
1. Human beings: prisoners, albinos, gypsies, hikikomoris, etc.
2. Cities: Brazilian favelas, Japanese bed towns, etc.
3. Countries: Greenland, Bhutan, Mongolia, etc.
4. Animals: anteaters, sloths, duck-billed platypuses, etc.
5. Plants: thistles, moss, baobab trees, etc.
6. Artists: Robert Crumb, Lovecraft, etc.
The great Ricardo Cavolo makes the margins the centre of his new book, showing us that extraordinary things happen there: extraordinary because they are very rare but also magical.